A twist on the classic sweet potato pie, our tart has a speculoos cookie crust filled with vanilla bean seed-speckled sweet potato filling and garnished with a billowy meringue that’ll inspire only the fluffiest of marshmallow fantasies. Find more delicious sweet potato inspiration in our September/October issue!
Sweet Potato Tart
- 1⅓ cups (202 grams) firmly packed finely crushed speculoos cookies* (about 26 cookies)
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1¼ teaspoons (2.5 grams) ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 5 ounces (142 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1¼ cups (295 grams) puréed cooked peeled sweet potato
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon (4.5 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- Vanilla Bean Meringue (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9½-inch round fluted removable-bottom tart pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, stir together crushed cookies, melted butter, ½ teaspoon (1 gram) cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon salt until well combined; using a small straightsided measuring cup, press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake until set and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (170°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add sweet potato, brown sugar, flour, vanilla bean paste, ginger, cloves, remaining ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) cinnamon, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt; beat at medium-low speed just until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until well combined, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined after each addition and stopping to scrape sides of bowl. (Mixture will be on the thicker side.) Spoon into prepared crust; using a small offset spatula, spread into an even layer.
- Bake until top of filling is set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 155°F (68°C), 22 to 28 minutes. Let cool to room temperature in pan on a wire rack; cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Carefully remove tart from pan; transfer to a serving plate. Spoon and spread Vanilla Bean Meringue onto tart as desired. Using a handheld kitchen torch, carefully brown meringue as desired. Serve immediately.
Vanilla Bean Meringue
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 large egg whites (180 grams), room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- In the heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt. Place over a saucepan of simmering water, and cook, stirring frequently, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F (71°C), 15 to 20 minutes.
- Return bowl to stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat sugar mixture at medium-high speed until bowl is room temperature and meringue forms glossy, stiff peaks, about 10 minutes. Beat in vanilla bean paste. Use immediately.