This impressive, dome-shaped “Gooda Cheez” recipe makes a vegan cheese with a creamy texture reminiscent of Gouda. Slice it into wedges for a delectable snack or appetizer. Recipe contributed by Jo Stepaniak, reprinted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.*
Gooda Cheez (Vegan Gouda Cheese)
Makes 1 (3-cup) dome
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 5 tbsp agar flakes, or 1 1/2 tbsp agar powder
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp sesame tahini
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Lightly oil a 3-cup bowl or mold with a rounded bottom and set aside. Combine the water and carrots in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the agar flakes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until the agar is dissolved, 8 to 12 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a blender and add the remaining ingredients. Process several minutes until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender jar as necessary.
- Pour into the prepared container and smooth the top. Cool uncovered in the refrigerator. When completely cool, cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. To serve, turn out of the mold and slice into wedges. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator. Will keep for 5 to 7 days.
Jo Stepaniak is the author of The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook*, Vegan Vittles*, and other books, and is also the co-author of Raising Vegetarian Children*.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
This post was originally published on 14 September 2011.