A buttery pound cake packed with nutty pecans, this Bundt is the definition of comfort baked from scratch. Sour cream in the batter gives it an extra-tender crumb while brown sugar brings out the warmth and richness of the pecans. We used both finely chopped pecans and pecan pieces to ensure that each bite of cake held a nutty morsel, big or small.
Butter Pecan Pound Cake
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅔ cups (333 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 7 large eggs (350 grams)
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 3¼ cups (406 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 grams) sour cream
- 1¼ cups (141 grams) pecan pieces*, divided
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (71 grams) finely chopped pecans, divided
- White Icing (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 6 to 7 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Add 1 cup (113 grams) pecan pieces and ½ cup (57 grams) chopped pecans, and beat until evenly distributed.
- Spray a 15-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter 5 to 6 times to release air bubbles. Smooth top.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 1 hour and 35 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack, and let cool completely. Spoon White Icing onto cooled cake.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ¼ cup (28 grams) pecan pieces and remaining 2 tablespoons (14 grams) chopped pecans. Sprinkle on top of icing. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
*We used Sunnyland Farms Pecan Pieces
- 1¼ cups (150 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 4½ tablespoons (67.5 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (21 grams) light corn syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.